- 4 lbs fresh pumpkin peeled, seeded and cut into bit sized chunks (see Tip)
- 4 large granny smith apples, unpeeled, cut into quarters
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, toss pumpkin, apples, onions, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Spread evenly onto a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, mixing once, for 30 minutes.
- Add in sage, mix again, and continue roasting until very tender and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Transfer about one-third of the pumpkin and apples to a blender along with 2 cups broth. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a Dutch oven and repeat for two more batches.
- Add in yogurt, ginger, nutmeg and remaining salt and heat through over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 5-7 minutes.
Tip: Make it easier to cut a pumpkin, acorn squash or other winter squash: pierce in several places with a fork; microwave on High for 45 to 60 seconds. Use a large sharp knife to cut in half.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrateNumber of servings (yield): 12Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
PER SERVING: 134 calories; 2 g fat; 22 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber